This is a course notes of Managing IT Project. The references are Schwalbe’s book and PMBOK.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Project Manager
What is a project, program, portfolio?
- Project, handled by Project Manager, is something that
- temporary (defined beginning & end)
- has unique purpose
- developed using progressive elaboration
- require various resources
- have primary customer & sponsor
- Program, handled by Program Manager, is group of related projects managed coordinately to gain benefit
Project Management is application of knowledge, skill, tools & technique in project activities to meet project requirement; discipline of planning, organizing, securing, managing, leading, & controlling resources to achieve goals within constraint scope, time, cost; way to achieve tactical goals
Project portfolio management is way to achieve strategic goals; working on right projects, right area, with right resources